December 22, 2015
Today’s gospel: Luke 1:46-56
“His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him.” (v.50). This is the wonderful assurance given us by Mary in her canticle. God’s mercy is extended to anyone and everyone at any time. Such mercy is an overturning of the wisdom of the world. It goes against the grain. It gives what is undeserved. As such it gives hope to those who otherwise would be hopeless.
How is God’s mercy such an awesome and mysterious thing?
* The God of mercy is “God my savior” (v.47). God, the supreme Being, lowered Himself to man’s level, and even lower, as a slave, as a suffering servant, and by His incredible self-sacrifice won salvation to those who did not deserve it.
* God “has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.” (v.48). God took a lowly, ordinary, unknown girl and lifted her up to become the mother of His Son. God takes us who too are lowly and extends to us the blessing of being His children.
* “The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.” (v.49). God is not content to lift us out of the misery of sin and darkness, but raises us to the heights, to be holy as He is holy, to be perfect as He is perfect.
* “He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones but lifted up the lowly.” (v.52). God brings justice, which cannot seem to be achieved in this world. The rich become richer while the poor become poorer, and only God can reverse such an unjust situation. Those who are firmly entrenched are ousted and brought down, and those who have been oppressed are lifted up.
* “The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty.” (v.53). God overturns the corrupt world order. Those who have rejected Him are left empty-handed, while those who are His beloved poor are filled with goodness.
Have you lived your life apart from God? Have you strayed from the straight and narrow path? Now is the time to be restored, in this Year of Mercy. Nothing in your life is so entrenched that it cannot be overturned by God. Stand on His promises. “He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” (v.55). You are a child of Abraham and God’s promise of mercy is for you.
What more can we say? “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior.” (v.46-47).
* * *
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/livechristsharechrist
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/livesharechrist
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “LCSC members” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/lcsc-members.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.