A LEADER WITH A FUTURE
May 21, 2013
Today’s reading: Psalm 37:3-40
Today’s psalm gives three characteristics of a true servant leader. “Observe the person of integrity and mark the upright; because there is a future for a man of peace.” (Ps 37:37). Let us see how we stack up.
Being a person of integrity means:
* Being temperate, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, love and endurance (Ti 2:1).
* Keeping one’s word or agreement even in the face of personal loss.
* Refraining from half-truths (and of course outright lies).
* Being honest and above-board in all undertakings.
* Following only the Lord’s agenda and not our own.
* Being undivided in love for and loyalty to God.
* Doing everything for God without grumbling or questioning, thus being blameless and innocent and without blemish (Phil 2:14-15).
Being upright means:
* Seeking the holiness of God and refraining from immorality (1 Thes 4:3).
* Doing only what is right and just and good.
* Doing nothing out of selfishness or vainglory (Phil 2:3a).
* Not maligning others, especially in public.
* Being humble and obedient to God in all things, even unto death (Phil 2:8).
* Wanting nothing but what will be pleasing to God.
* Living by the Spirit and not gratifying the desire of the flesh (Gal 5:16).
Being a man of peace means:
* Not being contentious, argumentative, judgmental or intolerant of others’ views.
* Not conceited, provoking one another, envious of one another (Gal 5:26).
* Being a seeker of dialogue and principled compromise.
* Not blindly insistent on one’s own views, while always standing for principle and what is right and just.
* Being quick to forgive and to seek forgiveness.
* Being patient with the shortcomings and weaknesses of others, while looking to their positive traits.
* Striving for good and right relationships with others, even in the face of disagreements.
* Humbly regarding others as more important than yourself (Phil 2:3b).
* Looking out not for one’s own interests but for those of others (Phil 2:4).
* Being merciful as God is merciful.
Is there a future for you?
God bless you all.
“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Phil 1:21)